[flext] Flext and jMax

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Tue Jun 8 17:23:21 CEST 2010

Hi Maurizio,
thanks for making me aware jMax is still existent!
I'm not sure if there are any remaining traces in the flext source code, still documenting my efforts to support jMax when it was being developed at IRCAM.
As for the port to current jMax you should be aware that i'm the only developer and i have no free capacities to work on flext other than fixing urgent problems.
But as flext supports only a subset of both the Pd and Max APIs which to my knowledge is practically the same as in jMax, i don't see any major problems with that.
There is one thing that might be problematic: I remember jMax to be Multi-CPU aware, which also Max5 is to some point. This is very hard to include into flext - in fact the Max5 port is using a thread lock to avoid problems.
Are you already (very) familiar with the way how flext deals with the different platforms supported. A good starting point might be flprefix.h. Huh, i just realized there's still a definition of FLEXT_SYS_JMAX....
well, all the best,
gr~~~