[flext] Flext and jMax

Maurizio De Cecco jmax at dececco.name
Wed Jun 9 10:43:45 CEST 2010

OK, i took a quick look.

Apparently, things are not so easy: the flext code use the basic Max/Pd
data types and constants, and have a lot of #ifdefs around.

jMax do not use the Max/Pd data types: jMax was redesigned are rewritten
from scratch.

OK, i actually added a compatibility layers supporting some of the data
type and constants, but the source, not binary level.

What i means is that data types and constants are mapped of different
implementation types; for example, constants like A_FLOAT are mapped
to symbols, not to integers.

So, a possible strategy would be: use the pd compatibility layer for
jMax (a specific version of the m_pd.h file, essentially), pretend that
jMax is PD,  compile and see what happens.
Add the proper #ifdefs in the flext and the proper extensions to the
jMax m_pd.h file. Reiterate until it compiles.
Try to compile/run simple objects and reiterate.

Another possible strategy is to work at a different level, and
see how flext can be readapted or reimplemented on top the jMax
architecture.

Both strategies are possible and not cheap. I will insert this
work on my jMax roadmap, but i do not have a big slot available
in the very short term; we will rediscuss the situation
after the summer ...

Maurizio