[flext] autotools builders - flext and gnu/windows

dmotd inaudible at simplesuperlativ.es
Mon Apr 4 14:08:04 CEST 2011

hi thomas,

updating you on mingw and cygwin.

the bad news is that neither environment is properly building the flext
core.

firstly, i had to hack configure.ac a little (the windows specific parts
were not getting set).

mingw (gcc 4.5.2):
with both your buildsys (cmd prompt) and autoconf (msys shell), mingw
will build all the static libs, but fails at the linker stage when
building the dynamic library, with a bunch of undefined references (see
attachment).

i have attempted to encourage the build further by passing linker flags
(-Wl,--as-needed and -Wl,--no-undefined *plus numerous
others/combinations*) but nothing seems to make it budge. i'm not sure
if the compiler is being pedantic or i'm just not understanding something.

cygwin (gcc 3.4.4)
cygwin breaks with your buildsys due to what appears to be an issue with
the environment (see attachment). with autoconf it acts much like mingw
- it can successfully build static libs but fails to make the shared
dll, a few more undefined references than with mingw (see attachment).

i feel like i've exhausted the internet for a solution, but hopefully
it's something simple that i've overlooked.

i'm compiling against miller's latest 0.43-0 source/binaries, which
still comes packaged pd.dll and pthreads headers.

tested on both a win2k and winxp in virtualized session. (slow and
frustrating!)

can you shed any light?

cheers,
dmotd